Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Free Speech, Tasering Andrew Meyer, & Disabled Youtube Comments

OK, so its bad enough that journalism student and political enthusiast, Andrew Meyer , didn't get his questions answered, then got arrested, tasered, etc. but why on earth also disable comments about this event on youtube???

Hello? I guess that means conversations to interpret this social event need to use other mediums.

Watch it for yourself:

Student Tasered At Kerry Speech: Longer Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE76LQwT6qA

(Note: Apparently Kerry says something to the effect of "it's OK, let me answer his questions")

This will cause no end of comment, I suspect, especially with the video so readily distributed, and with elections in the US and Australia on their way. And so it should.

Jon Rabin Baitz has provided more erudite insight into the event than typical news reports: More Pinter than Python.

I'm still a bit shocked/outraged to digest the incident intellectually. But here's the beginnings of some elements of social psychology going on here, e.g.,
  • Political psychology
  • Norms
  • Weapons effect (Why not just drag him outside instead of tasering him in the hall!? Was public torture necessary?)
  • Bystander effect
  • Stereotypes
  • Social control
  • Cyberpsychology
  • Culture of fear
  • Leadership
Some other comments:

4 comments:

Mike said...

Hi James,
Interesting viewing! Seems pretty brutal. I've pretty bad hearing - to much loud music. I couldn't hear it too clearly. What exactly was the young man saying? and what exactly is tasering?

cheers, mike

James Neill said...

I think Andrew Meyer had 3 questions
1. Did you win the 2004 election and why didn't you protest the electoral anomalies e.g., disruptions to voting in black areas.
2. Why not impeach Bush?
3. Were you a member of the skull & bones fraternity, along with GW Bush?

Tasers are electric stun-guns - they can shoot out a bolt of electricity to disable someone from a distance; or they can be switched to direct contact mode, which was what was used in this case. It's causes instant pain and is used to subdue.

Here's a bit more on university students getting tasered in the USA.

beck1411 said...

Hi James,

I was reading your blog and watching the youtube clip in total shock when I head the story about it on the news which showed some footage from another angle. I just kept saying over and over again to my boyfirend "but he didnt do anything!!" All he was doing was expressing his opinion and aksing a question, I can't see where he broke the law or in particular where the use of a Taser was needed.
I couldn't help but think about this in the context of our Uni. I used to live on ressies and at times some people do get our of hand. The security usually turn up equipped with a walky talky, a pen and paper, not even a batton let a lone a taser gun.
Its so appauling that this took place, (maybe I am just still too shocked about the situation), no wonder the campus police involved have been put on paid leave, I can only imagine how far this is going to go
Thanks
Beck =)

ZPeel said...

Hi James,
That clip was intense to watch. That is true example of police brutality at its best. It kind of reminded me of protests that I have seen or attended where things can get pretty out of hand and all I can think is was that really necessary? This is a pretty disturbing situation when he was simply expressing his views and thoughts and the outcome involved tasering. It makes me wonder why conferences and such are held if with this type of reaction no one will feel comfortable expressing their opinions.

Thanks,
Zoe.